Last Night

By: Scott

A little lead into this scenario before I begin this post.

If you've never been to the Athens campus, go. Go now. Now I may just be a small town guy but I'm well traveled, or, that is to say I'm not completely green. However, this campus is impressive. As a whole it is as large as the town in Oregon I grew up in; population 850. Knowing this you may wonder what possible claim I could lay to not being "green." Some other time for that.

The buildings are fanciful. I had never seen four escalators in a row to go up floors. We were on the third floor of Baker Center and the building was certainly impressive. I have photos but I don't have the ability to post them from my nook.

The architecture of the campus as well as the buildings themselves affected me, and last night as I slept in what was most assuredly the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever been on, (thank you, Ohio University Inn) I drempt. It went a little like this:

Last Night

Last night I met a new author
One of beauty
One of strength
One of youth
She shaved half her hair
And laid the other half
Back across the bristles
Of her artistic side
She roamed the halls
Of the conference
Hoping that someone would buy her books
One happened to be
Childrens' literature
As much as picture pages
Can be literature
She was counter-culture
She was hippie
She was sapphic
We stumbled into the same elevator
Of that spire of steel and stone
The cable snapped
And our box tumbled
Our bodies drifted weightless
Like a flight crew
Cresting a parabola
The containment shifted as if
There was no shaft
Just a free-falling elevator car
Floating
Like an icecube
Bouying in a glass.
Vodka?
Vermouth?
V-8?
We smashed on the sidewalk
I was strangely unharmed
Yet the girl was not
Her neck had snapped
The buildings were impressive
But a true architect
One of words, of ideas, of humanity
Was lost Last Night.

posted under |

1 comments:

Grimmgirl said...

Scott -- it sounds a though you got up to much last night while the rest of us were being lazy. A fine adventure.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

Welcome

This blog looks best when viewed in Internet Explorer.

The Bloggers

This blog is co-created by past and present members of the Ohio University Southern Literature Club; past and present editors of Envoi, our campus literary magazine; and other OUS students who enjoy reading and writing. It is a space for us to informally report on all things literary and to share creative writing efforts. Stay awhile, and feel free to comment and join in the conversation.



Followers

    Visitors


Recent Comments