Terrance Hayes, I aint even mad at you. Rhyme or no...

By: Scott

Oh,Terrance Hayes you sly dog. How dare you make me enjoy contemporary poetry! I grew up falling in love with the simple lines and delicate rythyms of Shel Silverstein. How dare you bring me into your world by pulling your world out of your pocket? Mr. Hayes presented himself behind the lectern garbed in a t-shirt emblazoned with the wonders of Orange Crush soda and invited me in to a hotel room occupied by himself, his father and his son. I am not ashamed to admit that I had to wipe clean a small patch of damp skin just above my cheekbone. Only just slightly damp.

I suspect it had never been published before. I can't go back and re-read it. I can't study it. He pulled it out from a little hidey-hole, this crumpled sheet of paper, unfolded it and then made me all soft. I've never wanted to rent a hotel room and spend the evening with my own father and son more so than I do just now. And if my own experience doesn't rhyme I might not even bitch about it.

posted under |

1 comments:

Grimmgirl said...

Sly fox...don't forget to say who wrote this!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

Welcome

This blog looks best when viewed in Internet Explorer.

The Bloggers

This blog is co-created by past and present members of the Ohio University Southern Literature Club; past and present editors of Envoi, our campus literary magazine; and other OUS students who enjoy reading and writing. It is a space for us to informally report on all things literary and to share creative writing efforts. Stay awhile, and feel free to comment and join in the conversation.



Followers

    Visitors


Recent Comments