Terrance Hayes - Spring Literature Festival 2012

by Sybrina


The first poet I had the privilege of hearing was Terrance Hayes. He did not look like a poet. I had never seen a poet up close, but I was not expecting Mr. Hayes. He had to be at least six foot four and his muscular, yet lean frame stood confidently behind the podium. He was dressed in a T-shirt and jeans and his boyish charm quickly won over the enraptured audience. In his poems, he exposed his deepest self to a room filled with people. His deep voice resonated in the room as he read from his book Lighthead and spoke of being abandoned by his father and how the little boy’s heart that still beat inside him, was still breaking, still reeling in anger over his loss. He also made us laugh over life’s little inconveniences.
In his lecture on Friday, Mr. Hayes showed us how to dissect a poem, how to understand it, how to connect common threads between other poems. Immediately after hearing him read his work for the first time, I began to notice my surroundings in a different way. I don’t have to have a profound epiphany to write a poem. I can write a poem about my pain, my sorrows, my grief, or about what makes me laugh at the world around me. Mr. Hayes is a painter. He has a degree in painting, yet he is a poet. I asked Mr. Hayes what changed his mind? He said that there were paintings in the world that had emotionally moved him, but none had made him weep. He said that language, words, can move the human spirit in a way that is unlike any other and I couldn’t agree with him more.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

Welcome

This blog looks best when viewed in Internet Explorer.

The Bloggers

This blog is co-created by past and present members of the Ohio University Southern Literature Club; past and present editors of Envoi, our campus literary magazine; and other OUS students who enjoy reading and writing. It is a space for us to informally report on all things literary and to share creative writing efforts. Stay awhile, and feel free to comment and join in the conversation.



Followers

    Visitors


Recent Comments